Once, I was on the Barracks, the soldier assigned to him told him it was time forTattoo, so he had to return to his quarters.
So, I asked what that was and he burst out laughing. In his usual playful attitude, he told me the soldier wanted to get a tattoo.
I knew he wasn’t serious, so, I made up my mind to discover what Tattoo in the Military Parlance meant. A chance presented itself soon enough, when the Soldier returned to the house, so, I asked the Soldier who explained to me that the ‘Military Tattoo’ in Civilian’s Parlance is; “Lights Out”. So, everyone except the Soldiers-on-duty was expected to be in their Quarters at this time!
Wikipedia puts it this way; “The term comes from the early 17th-century Dutch phrase doe den tap toe (“turn off the tap”), a signal sounded by drummers or trumpeters to instruct innkeepers near military garrisons to stop serving beer and for soldiers to return to their barracks”
On the 19th of December, 2019 at 1:21a.m. (GMT+1), I published THE HOLY ROSARY. find it here
I did not intend for this to generate much of a debate as I was relating a Personal experience! In fact, it remains one of my shortest, rarely revised and meaningful posts till date! I mean, I sleep-wrote this one!
What happened to me is similar to what the iconic Tope Alabi describes in this Song. “wa maa ti mi go go, bi eni muti Olowo nla”, you make me feel tipsy like one who has had an expensive spirit (spirit is a type of Alcoholic beverage) #iwolawaomaaboTweet
It was like; The words flowed from somewhere deep inside of me, all I had to do was type into my Computer. I touch-type if you understand what that means, so punching the words in while dozing wasn’t much of a ‘bother’. It felt like an assignment waiting to be completed.
I woke up in the morning and saw there were just three errors on a piece I sleep-wrote! I was impressed.Tweet
What happened next is nothing short of impressive! Facebook prompted me to ‘boost the post‘, I clicked on ‘Boost’ to see ‘if it will work’ because I had some ongoing Promotions, it got boosted, I immediately cancelled it! I woke up the next day to see it was boosted all the same, so, I left it!
The reactions this single post has generated has led me to do a sequel on the HOLY ROSARY.
The post begins with; “the Holy Rosary shaped like a sword”, in this sequel, I will add that; “the Holy Rosary is shaped like a Slingshot”; the one, we erroneously call, ‘Catapult’ which David used in defeating Goliath.Tweet
With the Holy Rosary, I will not only defeat my impossible enemies, but I will declare a Tattoo and silence all the ‘Anti-Warriors‘ who have arisen and called the Blessed Virgin (who the Rosary is not even about by the way) despicable names!
A sequel I have chosen to call; “Tattoo- The Secret”. In this post, I will share age-long secrets. With this post, I ‘signal’ all ‘Anti’ Warriors and protesters of the Holy Rosary that this is “Lights Out”! #tattoo #theholyRosaryTweet
For every Human seeking to learn the truth about the Holy Rosary, you are welcome to learn.Tweet
The Prayers of the Holy Rosary
01 Begin with the Sign of the Cross
In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
“The Sign of the Cross is formidable to the devil, because by the Cross we escape from him. We should make the Sign of the Cross with great respect. We begin with the forehead: it is the head, creation – the Father; then the heart: love, life, redemption – the Son; then the shoulders: strength – the Holy Ghost. Everything reminds us of the Cross.” – St. John Vianney
02 Prayer to the Holy Spirit
Come O Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful and kindle in them the fire of your love. Send forth your Spirit and they shall be created. And You shall renew the face of the earth.
Let us Pray:
O, God, who by the light of the Holy Spirit, did instruct the hearts of the faithful, grant that by the same Holy Spirit we may be truly wise and ever enjoy His consolations, Through Christ Our Lord, Amen.
Thou O Lord will open our lips and our tongues shall announce your Praise
Incline unto our aid, O Lord
O Lord, make Haste to Help us.
Glory Be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen
I say this Prayer before the creed, many people do too.
03 The Apostles’ Creed
I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth. I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried; he descended to hell. The third day he rose again from the dead. He ascended to heaven and is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty. From there he will come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Catholic* Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.
*that is, the true Christian church of all times and all places
The Apostles’ Creed is a summary of all the teachings of the Apostles, it is a Profession of our faith; of what we believe in.
04 THE LORD’S PRAYER (OUR FATHER)
Our Father, Who art in heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy Will be done,
on earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil. Amen.
The Our Father (the Lord’s Prayer) as taught by our Lord Jesus Christ; who admonishing us to refrain from using many words as the pagans who think that by using many words, they will be heard, is the fourth prayer of the Holy Rosary.
05 THE HAIL MARY
Hail Mary, Full of Grace, The Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now, and at the hour of death.
The fifth prayer of the Holy Rosary is the “Hail Mary”, words which were first proclaimed by an Angel of the Most High God to a peasant Virgin maiden, betrothed to Joseph.
And the angel came in, said unto her: Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.(Luke 1:28)
This second part was proclaimed by St. Elizabeth, wife of Zechariah, mother of John the Baptist (the Elijah who is to come) to Mary when Mary visited she who was called barren and was already six (6) months with child!
Blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb (Luke 1:42)
Owing to this great favor done Elizabeth by our Lord, I declare that all that is barren in your life shall become fruitful! I declare that even you who are barren and have no children of your own will carry your own children through Christ our Lord! Amen.Tweet
The second part of the Hail Mary; the ‘Holy Mary, Mother of God…’ was added by the Church (whom God has given power and divine authority to bind and lose) through divine inspiration.
Mary is Holy
Mary is the Mother of God
Mary intercedes today like she interceded for the Couple at Canaan, even though it wasn’t Jesus’ time to perform a miracle more or less prepared to begin his Public ministry. She;
- noticed the couple was in trouble as the wine was spent. An abundance of wine was one of the things that marked Jewish feasts, so it was a thing unheard of that wine should run out. Mary saved the day! One thing to take note of here is; the couple ‘invited Mary and our Lord Jesus Christ’. Have you invited Jesus into your situation?
- decided to help them
- informed the Son; our Lord Jesus Christ
- instructed the servants; “Do whatever he tells you” despite Jesus’ reluctance.
Something that strikes me about this whole event is; Jesus said; “you know my time has not yet come”. Did Jesus say that to any other person in sacred scriptures? I mean, from my understanding; this shows that the Blessed Mother was ‘in’ on Jesus’s plan, she knew that ‘Jesus’ time would come, she knew that there was an appointed time and place for Jesus to begin his Ministry.
So, in which part of the Bible does Jesus tell his Mother about ‘his time’ for Mary to have a foreknowledge of this and know ‘Jesus’ hour’ has not yet come? Is this recorded anywhere in the Bible (cf. John 21:25)
She leads us to Jesus!
Jesus listens to her and performs the miracle, He will will perform a miracle today in your life even when it’s not time when the Blessed Virgin intercedes for you, but have you invited her? Have you invited Jesus?
When she met him at the temple when he went missing at 12 years old and said; “did you not know Your Father and I must have been looking for you?” Jesus replied; “Did you not know I must be in my Father’s house?” After which, he got up from this ‘all important assignment’ and followed her. He obeyed! God obeys the ‘Man’ through which He became Man.
Mary is Holy because she was specially designated by God to bear his Son. She is the Spouse of the Holy Spirit. No other woman in the Bible has been greeted thus;
“Hail, Blessed art thou amongst women”.
An Angel as we know is a messenger, a messenger of the Most High God. As we know, a messenger can only deliver the message in the exact way God has sent him. What does this tell us; God himself said; “Hail, of all women born, you are blessed and you are highly favoured by God”. Elizabeth under the injunction of the Holy Spirit proclaimed; Who am I that the Mother of my Lord should come to me?
We are not even worthy to receive a guest as highly favored as our Blessed Mother, let alone attempt to beguile others while casting aspersions on the character of such a highly revered woman. Yet, the Mother Mary in her humility comes, even when we do not call to her.Tweet
Nothing unclean can see God, you already know that the Holy Spirit put the seed in Mary. So, did God become flesh in an Unclean being? Did Jesus take the flesh, suckle at the breast of an unclean being? Is your own Jesus, a contaminated Jesus. Is the mother of the Lord and savior you so adore a sinner?
You kneel before your Pastor, your Mummy G.O. (General Overseer), your evangelists and prophetesses who were all conceived in sin; and ask them to pray for you, where are these ‘people’s names in the Bible?’ They are elders and St. James carefully advised that we can ‘call the elders to pray’, right? How much more the Blessed lady?
Who sow this seed of discord against the blessed Virgin Mary in the Hearts of Men? The Devil? or men themselves acting as gods? For their own benefits or to serve a greater purpose?
06 The Glory be
Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be world without end, Amen.
This is a condensed form of the great song of Praise; “The Gloria“. Spread all over Sacred Scriptures you will find these words.
07 THE MYSTERIES
We have four mysteries; Joyful, Luminous, Sorrowful and Glorious.
The Mysteries of the Holy Rosary are the events in the life of Jesus which beats Human understanding. They follow a Chronological order of the life of our Lord. These mysteries form the crux of the Rosary. It is the reason the Rosary is so effective!Tweet
God honors his words! We pray the Rosary, meditating on the life of Jesus because that is what the Rosary is really about. So, we pray the words of God (not ours) back to him.
Now, we may hear some Apologists refer to Matthew 6:7 and say; The Rosary is a repetitive prayer.
You got to ask yourself; what exactly was Jesus trying to say? Is it the same Jesus who referred to Sacred Scriptures ever so often who will condemn the prayers of the Rosary?
Have you even seen the Psalm 136? What prayer in the world can be as repetitive as that?Tweet
There are 5 decades in each mystery. Each mystery is made up of a decade- Our Father, ten Hail Marys and one Glory Be. So, if I say; The First Joyful Mystery; the Annunciation, I will pray one Our Father, ten Hail Marys and one Glory Be.Tweet
The Joyful Mysteries (Mondays and Saturdays)
a. The Annunciation (Luke 1:26-38)
b. The Visitation (Luke 1:39-56)
c. The Nativity (God becoming man- the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ) – Luke 2:1-20
d. The Presentation Luke 2:22-40
e. The Finding of the Child Jesus in the temple Luke 2: 41-52
The Luminous Mysteries also called the Mysteries of Light (Thursdays)
a. The Baptism in the Jordan Matthew 3:13
b. The Self Manifestation at the Wedding Feast of Cana John 2:1-12
c. The Proclamation of the kingdom of God with His call to Conversion Luke 4:21 and many other passages
d. The Transfiguration Matthew 17:1–8, Mark 9:2–8, Luke 9:28–36 2 Peter 1:16–18
e. Christ’s institution of the Holy Eucharist Mark 14: 22-24; Matthew 26: 26-30; Luke 22:14-23
The Sorrowful Mysteries (Tuesdays and Fridays)
a. The Agony in the Garden Luke 22:44
b. The Scourging at the Pillar John 19:1, Luke 23:16
c. The Crowning with Thorns John 19:2-3
d. The Carrying of the Cross John 19:16–18
e. The Crucifixion Matthew 27:32-56
The Glorious Mysteries (Wednesdays and Sundays)
a. The Resurrection Matthew 28:5-6
b. The Ascension Acts 1:9-11
c. The Descent of the Holy Spirit Acts 2:1-13
d. The Assumption of our Lady – this event is not recorded in the Bible. While this is not a problem as St. John rightfully told us that; “Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.” (John 21:25) For further reading; check here.
The Bible is about God, His creation of Man, the salvific mystery and man’s redemption. Whatever books do not fit into this are not included in the Bible and that’s why St. Paul rightfully said;
So, then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the traditions that you were taught by us, either by our spoken word or by our letter.2 Thessalonians 2:15
So, according to Sacred traditions, Mary was taken up into heaven body and soul .
This is not new! Enoch was taken into heaven body and soul, so was Elijah. Genesis 5:24, Hebrews 11: 5, 2 Kings 2:11
e. The Coronation. A reference to this is made in Revelations 12:1-5
These are the prayers of the Holy Rosary, plain and simple!
When I pray the Joyful Mysteries;
- I am inspired to listen to the voice of God and expect his divine messages and his inspiration through the Holy Spirit,
- I expect to be visited by one who will change my life forever,
- I expect to do great works as would change the world, I expect to bear fruits that will last and outlive me
- I bear in mind that I was not created for myself and that whatever issues I pass through should first be presented to Jesus, to listen to Christ speaking to me through not just the Priests but to those around me
- I am inspired to teach; to share the word of God, never to be intimidated by anyone or anything and to live in obedience what I preach
when i pray the luminous mysteries;
- I am reminded of my own baptism and the promises I made; ‘to reject Satan, his works and his empty promises. To believe in God and all the Church teaches and to remember that through the waters of baptism, I have become born again, not just by water but by the Holy Spirit.’ So that, no brother, sister or con-artist will come to tell me; “Be born again”. I am a Born Again, my friend!
- I am reminded that even before I mention it; the Blessed Virgin has seen it and is already saying to me; “Do what he tells you” and he could change water into the Best wine ever, what he will do for me is unimaginable!
- I should show not just when I am in church but everywhere I am that ‘Jesus is Lord’, he has come to save us and wants us to spend eternity with him, to devote a time of my day to talking about Jesus. In my own style; as St. John Chrysostom puts it; “Ants are more attracted to Honey, than they are to Vinegar“. I instruct people about our Lord’s ways by making them see the ‘good in them’ and making them see that; Christianity is not about ‘preventing what will take you to Hell’, but ‘doing the things that will take you to Heaven’. By making them see that; even I am a work-in-progress. By living my life and enjoying it.
I instruct people about our Lord’s ways by making them see the ‘good in them’ and making them see that Christianity is not about ‘preventing what will take you to Hell’, but doing the things that will take you to Heaven.Tweet
- That spending time in the presence of Jesus would transform me, people will begin to see a different me. That Jesus’ allure will project onto me, that people will not only want to see me and be with me but that by spending time with me, their lives will be transformed positively.
- By receiving Jesus at the altar, I feel like the one who created Heaven and Earth has made himself small enough to fit in my heart, I must remember that consuming Jesus transforms me into him and must strive to always be in a state to receive him and project him onto others; as the Purest of beings
As St. John Chrysostom puts it; Ants are more attracted to Honey, than they are to Vinegar . It is easier to get people attracted to Jesus by telling them sweet things and make them fall in love with him, than by telling them harsh things! I will rather speak about Love and of Heaven than about the Devil and Hell, for; ‘in whom love is perfect, the Devil stands no chance’ because God is Love and anyone who abides in love, abides in God and God in himTweet
WHEN I PRAY THE SORROWFUL MYSTERIES
Honestly, oftentimes, I wish I could skip the ‘sorrowful mysteries’ but it’s compulsory! Praying these mysteries inform me that; life is not a bed of roses, when the ups and downs occur, I remember that even my Lord went through it!
- I remember how Jesus took his closest allies to pray with him, he saw what was going to happen to him, that even his sweat became as drops of blood. Which suffering have I passed through that has made me sweat blood? Whenever I pass through any form of pain, I am reminded that even Jesus’ friend deserted him at his lowest point
- I am reminded that even though Jesus had the power to command the ground to open and swallow up everyone, he restrained! It teaches me to be humble, never to ‘ride on anyone’ or ‘take anyone for granted’, it reminds me (anytime I am tempted to punish severely anyone who wrongs me when I have the power to do so), that even the Almighty restrained
- Jesus allowed himself to be mocked, spat on, jeered at, He took it all in stride. It’s the reason I am calm when some people deride me, when they want me to say what they want to hear, just so that I can be ‘saved’, I stick to my guns because Jesus first did it! Even when Pilate asked him to take the easy way out, he stuck to his guns because “the Father had put it in his power to get him crucified”.
It’s the way I accept some decisions as predestined by God and tell myself; “it did not happen to me, it happened for me”Tweet
- The Savior of the Universe carried his Cross, he fell even while carrying his cross. This tells me that even I can rise again after falling because my sin does not define me!
- Jesus had to die for his glory to be revealed. This is how I take consolation when I lose a dear one
WHEN I PRAY THE GLORIOUS MYSTERIES
- I am reminded that no matter how much the Devil tries, I will emerge victorious
- I am reminded that Jesus will always be with me
- I am reminded that I have received the gift of the Holy Spirit by the impartation of the Bishop. This makes me a Soldier of Christ who must fight to defend my faith against the wiles and works of the evil one. To study not just the sacred scriptures but also, the traditions that have been passed on by word of mouth. I never miss an opportunity to talk about Jesus or tell people how much I love him
- That if Our Blessed Mother made it to heaven, one day, I will join her and all the other saints in Praising God forever
- That if my Mother is the Queen of Heaven, whom the dragon waited patiently to eat her child as soon as it was born and did not succeed, my life cannot be cut short! I am a Queen and sit pretty with my crown ans will surely fulfill my divine destiny!
MY MAJOR INFLUENCES FOR THE ROSARY DEVOTION
Who are those that have influenced a greater devotion to the Holy Rosary for me:
- Rev. Fr. Ola-Maria Agbolade; he started me up on this journey and ensured we began our day with the Holy Rosary and ensured we carefully observed all the Marian feasts
- My Parents particularly my Mother
- My Best friend (Male)- Rev. Fr. Temi who always gave me one Rosary, prayer book or another
- Rev. Fr. Tony Anike (MSP) who taught me the act of deep meditation
- Dr. Mrs. Clementinah Owokade
- Mrs. Hetty Bakare, who brought for me two scented Rosary beads specially blessed by the Holy Father; The Pope Francis from Rome.
- Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate; I used to visit their centres at Ijebu-Igbo and Sagamu, in Ogun State, Nigeria. I felt such peace and serenity each time I was at their centre
- The Redemptorists and Vincentian Fathers
- Bishop Fashina; My Lord Bishop when I was in University, he made it a point of duty to always send tracts to us and the yearly pilgrimages to Iwopin were nothing short of astounding.
- 9.Rev. Fr. Raphael Ajewole who I met during my N.Y.S.C. who told me he had been touted to ‘take up the responsibilities of his father’ who was his village’s Chief Priest, a Native Doctor and Idol worshipper, but decided to become a Catholic Priest instead! Fr. through his ministry revealed so many secrets of the dark underworld, it wasn’t long before Fr. was attacked spiritually. Did I tell you that; despite the fact that Fr. was a Priest, he neither believed in the Rosary nor encouraged devotion to it?
So, Father was so sick, that he was diagnosed with Multiple organ failure. Fr. is such an energetic Priest, a revivalist, an exorcist, a Fund-raiser, the Bishop Ayo-Maria Atoyebi missed him! Prayers were said for Father’s recovery all over the Archdiocese. One day, someone visited Fr. and brought the Rosary beads with him/her, s/he hung it on his hospital bed. Fr. declared to us that each time he looked at the Holy Rosary, he derived such succor, it was like he was sipping from a life-giving-fountain and before long, Fr.’s health began to improve, someone on a death bed recovered! Today! Fr. has a mini-grotto in his room. His devotion to Mary and the prayers of the Holy Rosary is unrivalled.
The months of May and October are very serious in Fr.’s Parish. It’s an elaborate Marian devotion.
Fr.’s testimony made me develop an even greater devotion to the Rosary.
Fr. Raphael Ajewole is one of the greatest singers and Preachers you will ever meet, may God continue to protect and preserve him.
This is your tattoo! This is end of discussion as it concerns the reason I consider the Holy Rosary to be such a powerful prayerTweet